Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sheeee's baaaack!!

I'm back... kind of. I've been without internet service for a couple of weeks...long story, so I won't bore you. We finally got it set up this weekend. Woo-hoo! I was online for about two hours, and the modem went phooey! Tuesday, the repairman who looked at it said he'd never seen one short out before...lucky us! So, now we're back online...again.

I've been busy cleaning up websites, forums, email, etc. It's amazing how much can happen online in just two weeks. What a time we live in. So, this is a quick post just to let you know I'm alive and kicking. Come on in. Make yourself at home.

Monday, February 12, 2007

For Codi

Codi is a substitue teacher I have had the joy of working with on several occasions. She has only been in our area for less than a year, but it feels like she has been a part of the "family" for a long time.

Friday afternoon, she announced she is moving to another state at the end of the month. I knew I wanted to make something for her as a "we'll miss you" gift. I would be seeing her Monday, but after that it's really "iffy." She may or may not be working at our school again before she leaves.

So I needed a quick gift idea. I could make a hat before Monday, but which one?

Codi's favorite colors are brown and pink. I had some Chestnut Brown Paton's Merino in my stash, but NO PINK!!! I did have some Winter White. Kool-Aid?? Did I have some Pink Lemonade??! No! Drat! Keep digging through the cupboards...aha!! Wilton Icing Color in Aster Mauve. That should do it!

Now, remembering my most recent issues with Wilton and getting the acidity right, I was a little worried, but time was ticking. So I took the advice of Meilynne and added my vinegar to the dye bath a little at a time until the dye was absorbed. It worked!! I got this wonderful mauve pink color that was a beautiful contrast to the brown.

So while the pink yarn was drying, I started the hat. By Saturday morning, I had (dry) pink yarn and half of a brown rolled brim hat. The lace panel is a stitch I borrowed from the Esther sock pattern by Stephanie van der Linden. I blocked the hat and sewed the buttons onto the centers of the flowers on Sunday evening. Whew!! Just in time!

Today, I gave the hat to Codi in front of the kids. I think she was touched and the kids gave her lots of love, too. We all wish her the best!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Green Hat Number Three

Yarn: Green "Canadian Wool" from a trip to B.C. circa 1965 from my mother's stash (no labels) -- This is the same yarn (same skein, even) as Green Hat Number Two. It looks a lot more blue in the daylight and more green indoors.)
Pattern: original design (crochet hat with embroidery and buttons)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Green Hat Number Two

Yarn: Green "Canadian Wool" from a trip to B.C. circa 1965 from my mother's stash (no labels)
Pattern: Le' Slouch by Wendy Bernard at Knit and Tonic.

Notes: I chose the Stockinette Stitch rather than the Moss/Seed Stitch variation. I love this pattern and will use it again. In fact, I am already planning another one...perhaps with some embroidery?

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Yes and No

In a science lab, some experiments can go very well and others can go very wrong. That is the story of today's dyeing experiments. There is good news and there is bad news.

First the good...

As I have already stated publicly, I am a confirmed Kool-Aid addict. Today, I divided a skein of Paton's Merino in Winter White into three (almost) equal portions. Then I dyed them in Lemonade, Orange, and Cherry Kool-Aid. I am pleased with the outcome and I'm envisioning a Flame Hat, or maybe a Fake Isle, or maybe a stained-glass effect, or maybe....

Now for the bad news...

Today's dyeing experiment involved Wilton's Delphinium Blue. I used the same technique as with my Moss Green. Remembering that a little goes a very long way with the Wilton, I started with just a bit. The yarn kept taking up dye, so I kept adding more...about 3/4 teaspoon total. This was about four-five times as much as I needed of the green. Another odd thing was happening... the yarn was not turning blue. Instead, it was streaked with fuchsia. Even my spatula turned the same color.

I continued to work with it, hoping the blue would take over, but it just never did. When the yarn stopped taking up dye, it was an odd blue/purple and fuchsia streaked mess.

I am not at all satisfied with the results, and I am now curious why I got these results. (My science professors would be pleased.) I am guessing it had to do with the vinegar. Since this was the last of my recycled yarn from this sweater, I'll need to wait to do any more experimenting with the "Definately NOT Delphinium Blue."

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Green Hat Number One

A very quick post with a shot of my first FO for the Green Hat Along. This was made up from the recycled wool handyed with Wilton Moss Green and my own design.